Writing blogs does more than give good information to your target audience. In addition, you want the blog to help the SEO (search engine optimization) and readability for your website. The more blogs you post, the better.
In writing the blog, there are some rules that should be followed for the best outcome. The more of the listed items you do, the better the SEO for that blog entry.
- Write a great headline – grab someone’s attention. Headlines with numbers are good for SEO.
- Come up with a good keyword or key phrase to describe your blog post.
- The first sentence should use your keyword (a word or phrase to describe your blog that someone might use when searching on the internet)
- Write an interesting snippet (descriptive sentence about your blog). The snippet is what appears on the search engine when your blog’s page comes up in a search.
- Avoid using passive voice. Passive voice is more difficult for your readers to understand.
- You are encouraged to use transition words (in addition, however, in conclusion, meanwhile, subsequently, etc.).
- Think of tags to use (Words or phrases people might use when searching on the internet that also pertains to your blog).
- Write at least 300 words in your blog post.
- Make short paragraphs (2-4 sentences). Lists are encouraged.
- Less than 25% of the sentences should be longer than 20 words. Long sentences can be more difficult for people to comprehend.
- Sections of text that are more than 300 can be broken up by subheadings. Subheads give the page more visual space that makes it appear easier to read.
- Give your story a positive spin, even if it’s a serious subject.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread!
- Add internal links when they make sense. If one blog related to another you previously posted, a link will drive people to read the other page as well. The longer someone stays on your website, the better.
- Add external links when they make sense. Link to pages that do not share your keyword. For example, if your blog topic is real estate and the keyword for the blog is realtor, don’t link to realtor.com.
- Find an image that illustrates your story. Add alt text that uses your keyword/key phrase. Make sure you have legal right to use the image and credit the photographer, if necessary.
- Add a “call to action” when writing your blog. Give people a reason to get in touch.
- Share the post on your social media pages and encourage people to visit your blog
Later you can take quotes from your own blog and reuse them as social media posts. This often practiced technique helps make the most of your writing efforts. Another way to reuse this information is to send the blog as an email to your mailing list.
If you need help getting your blog going, feel free to get in touch. We’re here to help make your blog the best it can be.