This has been the most spectacular year for those of us involved in social media. The entire industry has grown in leaps and bounds. More entrepreneurs and companies are using it to help grow their businesses. Athletes, musicians and individuals are so involved in social media that they use it multiple times every day.
Here are some of the highlights of 2012:
- Facebook stock goes public. Mark Zuckerberg gets even richer.
- Facebook buys Instagram for a big pile of money.
- Obama is called the “cool” president, has impromptu visit on Reddit and crashes the system.
- Infographics are on the rise, using pictures and words to get a message to huge numbers of people.
- Twitter had a record number of tweets during Super Storm Sandy.
- Angry Cat and other fun memes flood social media.
- Pinterest becomes 6th most popular social media.
- Finding lost kids is enhanced with social media. Since it is incredibly fast, it gets the word out almost immediately.
- Gangnam Style goes viral. Do you know how to do that dance?
- Find lost pets, rehoming pets. Gets the word out faster and to more people than traditional methods.
- The new MySpace – it’s bigger, better than ever and making a comeback.
- Instagram changes policy, people get angry, Instagram changes it back in a matter of a couple days.
- School shooting in Newtown, CN has social media ablaze with outrage, gun control opinions, tributes and an outpouring of emotions.
No one wants to read text these days. That’s why this list is a list, in bullet form. Infographics are snowballing in popularity because the graphics make it simpler than a paragraph of words, to get the information to the masses. People all over the world want instantaneous information and they do not want to spend a lot of time reading it.
The best thing that happened in 2012 with social media is that people now take this method of communication seriously – more now, than ever before. So, here’s to the end of 2012 and to watching social media grow even bigger than anyone ever imagined in 2013!